Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sowing and Reaping




~Brandon James Scott Scholl

There is a common thing that is written throughout scripture called sowing and reaping. What is it? What does it do exactly? And how does it apply to our lives?

Sowing and reaping is just like a farm’s definition. You put the seeds in the ground and you reap the harvest when they’ve grown, matured.

This idea works throughout our lives in all ways. Whether it be through tithing 10% or even your attitude towards people. For example, if you’re a constantly uplifting when talking to people, that attitude will be given back to you because of the seed you have planted in that
individual about you. However, if you’re a constant downer and angry person, that’s what will return to you.

“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.” ~Galations 6:7 (ESV)

A personal example of mine is when I use to have Mormon Missionaries over to my home. They were the local guys who would go door to door and talk to people in my area. So I’d have these two guys over about once a week for dinner and have some amazing discussions with them. I got to know them quite personally and respected them quite a bit. During one evening I was talking to them about the trinity as well as baptism for the dead. Near the end of the conversation, they told me they would look into it, do some research, and let me know what they found. True to their word, they brought some scriptures to me to back up their view. I realized that since we had talked about it they never disagreed with me and we would go through scripture and I’d support myself. I saw God give me the ability to plant that seed and I started to watch it grow. Recently, both missionaries have moved on and my house was put on the blacklist with them. I will never see the blooming of that seed but I know it’ll happen.

I may not see the harvest but I will reap the rewards in heaven. The thing that is hard as humans is we look for things here on this earth. But, we have to realize that we build treasures in heaven that surpass anything possible here and won’t wither away.
Another example is when God talks about drawing to you if you draw near to Him. We will reap the reward of that seed that we sowed look and searching for Him.
James 4:8 “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.”

Now, the best way to get your mind a little better around this would be Karma. In a way, sowing and reaping is the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment